Just a few points.
1) This is a problem for Team Burke but possibly a beneficial one. Certainly it’s an interesting one (And oh hell but we do need something interesting right now). Mary Burke does need more name recognition. If Hulsey breathes new life into the Dem. Party side of the equation, it also can shed extra light on the Mary Burke name and Burke’s ideas.
2) If you’ve been a watcher of politics the last few years you know Brett Hulsey had some awkward stories in the news. You know some protesters loathe him for helping clear out the Capitol occupation. Is that going to be distracting fodder? This really depends upon the press and how Hulsey, and Burke, and the right wing plays on that.
3) Hulsey probably has a better chance of getting hit by lightning in April than of winning this primary.
4) Hulsey has announced he is not running for his westside-Madison Assembly seat again. This leaves that field more open to Lisa Subeck.
5) Hulsey always says stuff that isn’t tested by a focus group (*gasp!*). If you want to dismiss that, call it loopy. If you want to embrace it, call it being a human being. For example, Burke has made very cautious statements about mining – so cautious that there’s not much THERE there. Meanwhile Hulsey has talked about mining and environmental issues for forever because that’s his thing.
Who knows how exactly this plays out. But isn’t that why we get into campaigns?
Again, here is Hulsey’s campaign announcement press release.
Do you have thoughts on this development? Leave ’em in the comment zone.